Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ninjas

Something's been on my mind the last couple of days. Amidst all the political change we've just experienced and in a week when I've had 4 mock board exams (and one more tomorrow) as well as a couple big school events in the evenings, you'd wouldn't expect me to be thinking about this - but I think Hemingway* said it best when he penned the words, "Eventually, everyone needs to write about ninjas." For me, this time is now.

You see, anyone who knows me well is probably aware of the fact that I'm obsessed with ninjas. The seeds were planted in my childhood when, like every other boy at the time, I was a huge TMNT fan. Years and years later as I was enjoying my last real summer (the one right before dental school) my roommates and I invested in some ninja suits and spent several evenings at the secret ninja training grounds perfecting our art.

Today I read about a promising children's book that is supposed to promote equality and diversity. As I recently discussed, there are good ways and there are bad ways to go about teaching diversity. This book, called "Ninja, Cowboy, Bear" seems like a good way. In addition to celebrating the differences between the three creatures, it teaches a new game - basically paper-rock-scissors but more intense. (If you've ever wanted to play paper-rock-scissors online, click here - hours of fun).

However, there is one key flaw in the game, and subsequently the book. See if you pick up on it:




Did you catch the mistake? Go check again if you missed it. Here it is - somebody accidentally wrote "Bear beats Ninja" - can you believe it? Don't they have editors there?

I mean lets think about it for a second. Ninjas can beat cowboys - Ok, I don't think anyone can argue this one. The only possible exception might be John Wayne vs. a half of a ninja and only in the daytime.

Cowboy vs. Bear? I think this one could go either way. It probably depends on the conditions, weapons, age of cowboy, etc. Incidentally, if you ever find yourself in the position of the cowboy facing a real bear and you happen to have access to the internet and need advice, click here.

Ninja vs. Bear. We shouldn't even be talking about this. First of all, how is a bear ever going to find the ninja? Can you find the ninjas?


Keep trying. So far I've only found 2 ninjas and what might be a ninja's foot. How is a bear supposed to find them? The only way a ninja and bear would ever square off is if the ninja wanted it to happen, and in that case he would stealthily make his kill and hide the carcass so nobody would ever know about it.

Lastly, I want to share a news story my brother shared with me last year. It's from the Onion News Network, which is a lot like CNN or MSNBC but they do a lot more fact-checking so their stories are more reliable.** This story takes place in Modesto, CA, which (in case you forgot) is also home to the Nuts.


Ninja Parade Slips Through Town Unnoticed Once Again

*Not Earnest Hemingway, but my imaginary friend, Dussa Hemingway.
**That's not true.

Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Benji said...

PS I also lied about finding the 2 ninjas in the picture. I've only actually found one.

Julie said...

OMYGOSH! Thanks for the laugh - I needed that. (no offense) I totally needed that right now. I can see with the week you have that it is a good creative outlet. Mom even told me to avoid calling you this week because of your tests. ha ha. I have another good laugh for you, but I'll have to e-mail it. It isn't bloggable. (my new word). One idea though - if you combine your ninja skills with your fancy new degree you could tap in on the undiscovered world of 'Ninja dentistry' in which you could sneak into the room, perform the procedure virtually undetected by the patient and charge 10X more money!

Jackson said...

Benji you're hilarious! But, what are you talking about? Of course the BEAR beats the NINJA! The Ninja would only have to piss the bear off! Anyway I am so excited to see you guys on Thanksgiving. See you then!
OH! Bring your Ninja suit I want another goo laugh!

Jackson said...

When I wrote "goo" I ment the gangsta way of saying good!

Benji said...

Aha! So you're part of the Tremonton gang problem Julie was talking about.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the link on how to escape a bear. I also am a big fan of Dussa Hemingway's writings. What a informative paper you've put together.

Benji said...

Julie - I was thinking about the ninja dentistry idea and I like it. I'd have to team up with an anesthesiologist and we could break into people's homes and sedate them without them even knowing and do all the treatment planning and dental work then need and they'd just wake up in the morning with a nice little bill! And we could work like plumbers or cable guys and say, "I'll be at your house sometime between November and February". It would be great - people could have regular dental appointments and not even know about it! Genius!

Ashley said...

I think you should have saved this for your special 100th post. That was my favorite blog post ever. And I don't even like ninjas...oh, and remind me to tell you why I was really really angry with you a couple days ago.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning our new book Benji!

We'd like to invite you to try playing ninja cowboy bear online.

http://playncb.com/game.htm

Sign up and you can see where you rank. Plus you'll access the nifty five-in-a-row animations!

Also be sure to check out our Facebook page for the latest NCB news!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ninja-Cowboy-Bear/40018109739

Benji said...

No way! Ninja Cowboy Bear commenting on my blog? I'm honored. I signed up and played 200 games but I'm afraid I'm not very good. My record is:
Wins 55, Losses 72, Draws 73.

The most I ever won consecutively is 4 and I did that twice. That five-in-a-row animation is tough but I'll keep trying!