Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas is Canceled



If I were in charge of America, today's headline would inform everyone that Christmas was canceled. I don't mean "in charge" like Barack Obama, I mean it like if I was America's father and America was my 9-year-old child. (On a totally unrelated note, when are the spell-checkers going to start recognizing the words "Barack" and "Obama?")

Why would I do such a heartless thing? Because of how disgusted I am with this story, which I'm sure you've already heard, where a 34-year-old New Jersey Wal-mart employee was trampled to death by eager customers. The article says "the exact cause of death has not been determined." Here's my guess - greed.

I read about this story just before heading out to do a little shopping at the Costco and it put a real damper on my day. The store was jam packed and people weren't really being considerate of each other. All I wanted was a hot dog.

Melissa and I agreed that if our children ever get too caught up in the selfish, materialistic aspects of Christmas, we'd have no problem doing a reality check and significantly limiting the gifts for the year, or "canceling" Christmas, if you will. This led me to reflect on my childhood Christmases and trying to remember the "stuff" I got. After trying for 5 minutes, I can remember:

1. A motorcycle track me and my brother got to share. I loved it because it had a loop-de-loop.

2. A trophy. Yup, as a child I asked for a trophy for Christmas. I remember walking around with my mom at the local D.I. (a second-hand shop) and looking at trophies. She convinced me that Santa's helpers were watching and that if I acted like I really liked one of them, they'd know which one I wanted. (She then convinced me the small silver baseball trophy was much cooler than the giant golden one).

3. A bicycle. I actually remember getting two. A BMX when I was little and a huffy mountain bike a few years later.

4. A radio.

5. Roller blades.

I'm sure if I really tried I could think of more things, but it would take some effort. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I think Homer Simpson said it best when he said:
"...every time I learn something new, something old gets pushed out. Remember that time I took that home wine-making class, and I forgot how to drive?"
I think learning how to do root canals is what pushed out my Christmas memories. Stupid root canals.

My point is that after all these years I don't really remember much of the "stuff" I got. On the other hand, I will always cherish the traditions my family had. My parents were really good at helping us focus on those around us. I don't want to reveal too much about what we would do, but suffice it to say as a teenager I learned that the rush from sneaking around like a ninja doing secret nice things was just as fun as sneaking around doing mischief.

I feel bad writing such a negative post when many of my blogger friends are listing things they are grateful for. I am looking forward to Christmas and don't think all of American needs to have it canceled. Also, I can't lie, I'm really excited for the day when my children are older and I can enjoy the looks on their faces Christmas morning. Who knows, maybe all those people involved in the Wal-mart stampede were just so selflessly caught up in getting something nice for their children that they didn't realize they were trampling someone.

Probably not.

My next post will be about puppies.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I LOVE your negative post! It really isn't negative at all. I am in complete agreeance. Being a former WalMart employee it totally ruined my night too when I learned of it. Klay will love the Homer logic. He forgets everything - he will have to explain what 'new' things he's learning. (Still sick, can't sleep, probably headed to the Dr. today) Love ya!

Stephanie said...

That story makes me sick and I think it is so sad.
I guess I must be lucky or something but I have done the early morning Black Friday shopping for the last two years and I haven't had any problems. People were pretty friendly...I also deliberatly avoided Walmart.

Blogdor said...

I've been dubbed a "Christmas Ass" by my wife. Your realization on the need to significantly tone down Christmas eventually comes to every logical person. It's kind of like a non-Christmas nirvana or something. Welcome to the club.

Ashley said...

To be fair, I usually try to call him a "smass" so as not to offend small, (or large for that matter) ears. But I mostly agree. Eli is not getting a single present from us until he is old enough to realize and /or feel bad that we are letting his grandparents buy all the crap.

Benji said...

Ha ha that's a good idea. Melissa has been picking up stuff for Jordan at yard sales, so he'd going to get a few things but it probably only set us back $4 total.

Anyway, I just read this follow-up article and it made me so mad! It mentions that the guy was 6'5", 270 lbs! You simply can't step on something that large and not realize it! He was likely assigned to be the front guy at the door because his stature would make him most suited to "crowd control." A lot of people in this thread are pretty much summarizing how I feel.

D13_Dhonk said...

Thanks to your comment, I know that you know more about Ninja,but I'm Indonesian, s I want to know more abot this!!