Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Sunday, November 16, 2008

100 posts - time for a DTR

100 posts, wahoo! I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something worthy of this historic occasion, but no single idea stood out as the clear winner so instead, lets just have a DTR. (If you're wondering what that means, it stands for "Define the relationship". It's a pleasant talk that young couples have when the try to figure out how committed the other person is to the relationship. It can be very rewarding and lots of fun. It usually includes questions such as "where do you see this going?" as well as lots of questions about feelings.)

First off - last week's poll about music: 3 of you voted that you like automatic playing music. 6 of you voted that you don't like it, but 3 of those votes came from this house, so it's still sort of a tie. 7 of you voted for Barack Obama - probably so that if he does really well and everyone likes him you can also claim to have voted for him. Anyway, for now I'll stop forcing my music upon you. I'll put it back on the bottom of the page where you can go click if you really want to hear it.

Now lets talk about content. I've looked at the titles of my first 99 posts and done a quick tally of exactly what it is this blog is about. Here are my results:

My experiences/thoughts/journal....35
Random intersting things..............19
Current events/politics.................12
Dentistry (me)............................9
Dentistry (news)..........................9
Movie Reviews...........................8
Random funny things....................6

I think I like that balance. Ever since my wife started blogging and then really really started blogging (like several times per day) I have felt less of a need to talk about my family because she takes care of that. Feel free to share with me what you want to see more/less of. I might take your suggestions into consideration, I guess it depends on how committed I am to making sure this relationship works.

Lastly, I'd like to change gears and discuss the phrase "scattered like ice from the spoon." Sound familiar? Bonus points if you can tell me where it's from before reading on. Ok, time's up, it's from Black Balloon by the Goo Goo Dolls. People from the internet say that it's a drug reference - but before you go wandering around in San Bernardino suggesting things like, "Hey guys, lets all go scatter some ice from a spoon!" you should know that "ice" refers to methamphetamines and "spoons" are used with heroin, so people don't really use "spoons" and "ice" together. The mystery remains. I'd like to think that something so innocent sounding as a "goo goo doll" wouldn't condone drug use and that they are simply talking about putting ice cubes in spoons and just scattering them around. How fun would that be?

A couple years back I was telling a story and near the end I said, "and then the cops showed up so we all scattered like....." and I was at a loss for words. The first thing my mind wanted to say was "ice from the spoon" but I knew that didn't really make any sense. The second place my mind went was to a memory I had as a teenager when I was on my back porch and stepped on a huge, HUGE wolf spider to kill it. When I picked up my foot I saw tiny dots scattering in every direction and had no idea what had just happened. Later I learned that when wolf spiders give birth, the tiny babies will stay on the mother's abdomen for a while. (Some sources say a week, some say longer. Either way, click here if you don't believe me or if you just want to learn more).
Alas, I digress. I wanted to end the story with "we all scattered like baby wolf spiders on the mama spider's back!" but figured not many people in the room had seen it actually happen, which is a shame because it was a really good description of what we looked like and the way we all scattered when the cops showed up.
Eventually, I ended my story by saying "we scattered like ants!" That was probably the worst choice. Ants don't scatter - if anything they congregate. My point in all this is simply to state that we need better expressions for things that scatter. The end.

Update: video of baby wolf spiders.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I love that you now have a label for "wolf spider babies." Please don't change a thing. Happy 100th post.

Stephanie said...

I am happy to have a DTR. I haven't had one since Snow...the best one was a DTR using organic chemistry. Anyway, I would just like to say that I like that you always put random links to things. I like your scattered wolf spider thing. You have inpired me to say scattered like denal students being chased by the Mexican police.

Fat Joe said...

My favorite category: Benji exploits for the ages!

You've got plenty of untouched material. The time you literally ran away from a girl. Skipping school to fish-tail on the bird refuge road in a '73 chevy. The time you woke up to a surprise after surgery. Everything in the confession letter taped to the back of the Chevy Suburban gas pedal at the Salt Lake City airport. A special-ops style PowerPoint debriefing us on the Mexico incident. Those all-Benji occapella tracks.

Benji said...

Ha ha I'm still laughing.... actually with the Mexican police we were incredibly outnumbered so we hid ourselves like ninjas - but that's another story for another time. Which brings me to Joe's idea - much of the material of which you speak will have to remain untouched until I have a job. When people look over my resume next year I don't want them googling me only to discover my secret international crime ring! (Note to potential employers - I'm just kidding about having an international crime ring). (Note to employees in Panama - the eagle flies at midnight - don't let me down this time).