Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Monday, November 3, 2008

Is it really worth it?

I recently heard some numbers that I found interesting. The October issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association featured an article that showed there is a higher risk of injury and death from traffic accidents on presidential election days. Why? More people are driving, possibly going to unfamiliar locations, and many of them look like this


or this

or this


.....you know, people who don't really drive on a daily basis but on election day are motivated to get out and "jam the vote!"

On the average, this results in a national increase of 24 automobile-accident related fatalities as well as an additional 800 serious injuries. This is a bigger risk than driving on the day of the Super Bowl or New Year's Eve. Given these numbers, it is more likely that you will be killed or injured than it is that your one single vote will actually make a difference, so in a way you're better off just staying home. Now, I'm not trying to convince any of you not to vote, just work on those defensive driving skills tomorrow!

5 comments:

Julie said...

Ha ha, I voted early - last Tuesday. Ryan even helped me push the boxes on the touch screen. We only had to back up and redo it twice. Pretty good I'd say. Klay, however, did not vote early and will most likely be standing in line. Judging by his track record with traffic accidents (& the fact that he is old) this will serve as a good reminder for him!

Grandma B said...

Thanks for the insight Benji. I have to drive to Rexburg and bring Camille to IF to vote. And I have a new "little" car, I felt so safe in our big truck. The weather is yucky too!I have one thing going for me, I am not yet one of the voters in your pictures...close,but not yet!

Benji said...

Ha ha yeah you have quite a few more years to go before you start resembling the dangerous drivers!

I just have to point out that when Melissa and Jordan and I were leaving our polling place there was a really confused old lady driving the wrong way in the parking lot looking for a spot and we had to stop so she didn't coast right into us. Good think I was on the lookout, right?

Fat Joe said...

Absentee ballot, baby!

Anonymous said...

I found your post just in time to forward it to everyone at the Safety Council! Bahaha. Most people didn't comment, but I think my boss really liked it... :)