Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

One thing that helps me and Melissa get through dental school is to think (dream) about what the next stage of our life will be like. One thing I'm most looking forward to is having a backyard. Once we get a backyard, it only makes sense to get Jordan a puppy. I decided long ago that our first dog would be a Rhodesian Ridgeback. This video helped me convince Melissa it was a good idea:


And Jordan was on board once he saw this video of some puppies playing.

I first learned about these dogs when I met Jack, a Rhodesian Ridgeback living on a US army base in Germany. The funny thing is that I totally forgot the names of the family he lived with! Here are some fun facts about Ridgbacks, mostly from wikipedia:
  • Another name for this breed is the "African Lion Hound." How cool is that?
  • The distinguishing feature is a ridge of hair on it's back that runs opposite the rest of the coat. Thus, a ridge-back.
  • They can be "aloof to strangers" but seriously, who among us isn't? He may not be much use against a burglar, but that's a decent trade-off for not annoying the neighbors.
  • Ridgebacks posses a "sensitive side." This should come in handy on the weekends when I just want to watch a chick-flick but Melissa's too busy with her stupid football games.
  • The breed originated in South Africa, just like Charlize Theron, but unlike Charlize Theron, the dogs were used in packs to hunt lions. They would keep the lions distracted while the hunter would make the kill.
  • Ridgebacks have well-developed teeth. I have no idea what that means, but it sounds appropriate for the dog of a dentist.
Lastly, I'd like to remind you that this Friday is the 5th annual day of the ninja so make your plans now. Coolest ninja story gets a prize.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love your blog...you always keep your post content promises.

Stephanie said...

Bret wants a bull dog...maybe you can help convince him that maybe another dog could be more awsome.