Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Cool things I've done - 11 mattresses

If you haven't noticed, I'm giving my blog a jump start this week. It's spring break, my blog is new, and I have a lot of lost time to make up for so I figure it's time I start writing retroactively. Don't worry, I'll try to keep it interesting. A couple years ago I made a list of cool things I've done that not many other people have done. I think there were about 20 accomplishments. Anyway, I'll see if I can find this list and write a little about each one - the "cool things I've done" series begins.

One that comes to mind is the time I slept on 11 mattresses. I was the mission secretary for the LDS Munich Germany mission, and thus lived in the large apartment where the incoming and outgoing missionaries would stay every 6 weeks. That meant for 5 &1/2 weeks, 4 people would live in an apartment with 12 beds. Naturally, the thought that dawned on my ever-observant mind was, "Hey, I might never in my life again have the chance to sleep on this many mattresses at the same time. I better do this."


So I did it one night when two of the apartment's occupants were away. I stacked up as many as I could and was surprised that the ceiling was the limiting factor - not the number of mattresses. I had to stop one short of what I could have done in order to leave room for myself. I used the bunk bed frame to climb up and when I got on it really felt like I was on a boat. With just the slightest movement, I would sway back and forth - this was a little cause for concern as I have been known to change sleeping positions during the night. For safety I used all the bedding and piled it up all over the floor all around my tower of mattresses.

Anyway, I slept great - I didn't fall off the bed or anything - and I awoke the next morning knowing I had accomplished something few other people have done, however pointless that might be. That's how I roll.

No comments: