Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Happy Global Hand-Washing Day!

That's right, October 15th is global hand washing day, according to this morning's 60-second-science. It talks about a hand-washing study done in Britain which determined a good rule of thumb to be that the further north you go, the dirtier the hands. Also interesting was that in 3 of the 5 cities women had dirtier hands then men, and in London a woman was 3 times as likely to be harboring germs - so don't let those manicures fool you!

In one of my classes a couple years ago they showed us a video about medicine in the 1800's. It was interesting that many of the older doctors were resistant to the theory of bacteria. Many were stubborn and refused to wash their hands simply because they didn't believe it would do any good. Needless to say, many people suffered because of their resistance.

Happy hand washing day! Now go wash your hands - your keyboard and mouse are probably filthy.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for saying Hi! and Thanks for the good luck! I have enjoyed reading both yours and Melissa's blog. In between apartment shopping I am always looking for good stuff to read!
Funny you mention it, that is why we are here. Steve Jobs is actually training Mac right now!! Mac is so amazing, we all new it was only a matter of time.

Stephanie said...

I like this blog because I get teased because I won't eat food that people have touched if they haven't just washed their hands. Who can really blame me, offices are so germy.

Rustin & Kelsi said...

Rusty doesn't believe soap is necessary. He claims all you need to do is scrub. I harass him about this all the time, but he claims the evidence was through a U of U science lab experiement. I still think soap should be used!

Benji said...

Ha ha! Rusty just doesn't want the fake-tan lotion to get scrubbed off of his hands - he's a little sensitive about it ever since elementary school when we all called him "pale palms diehl" ;)

Seriously though, until you read that soap is ineffective in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, I'd keep using it.

Anonymous said...

Dear dentist, I was searching for image of hand washing procedures, and ended up to your blog. Is it OK if I use this image to be posted as an illustration on my blog too? Hope you don't mind. Thanks in advance, then :)

Benji said...

Dear Batikmania, you are much more courteous than I am. I simple took this image from somewhere else without asking. However, you have shown me the kindness and decency I should have shown two years ago today. I don't mind at all. In the name of cleaner hands, I hereby declare this image free for all to use far and wide. Go forth! Spread the message of cleanliness, and be ye dirty no more!