Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Google found me!

This is a milestone in the history of the benjiblog. You see, when I first began this blog I felt like I was really out there on the internet for people to find, but was disappointed when my google searches came up empty. I would copy whole paragraphs from this blog, and paste them into the google search box expecting to be the number one result. When this didn't happen I set out to figure out how google worked. Here's a summary of how google works from this source.
They use a top-secret algorithm called page-rank, which incorporates 3 key factors:
  • Frequency and location of the key words for which one is searching
  • How long the web page has existed
  • Number of other web pages that link to the web page in question.
There you have it. I was naively expecting to be found when I had only fulfilled the first requirement. Apparently four months is enough time for google to consider me legit, and there might possibly be a few links to this page floating around out there.

Bonus - when I google "Benji Somebody Else", the first three hits are really referring to me, then there's some unrelated hits, then it cites this blog's first post where I explained the meaning behind the address and happened to write Benji and Somebody Else in the same paragraph.
Note- In a couple weeks I'm expecting this post to be up there on the list because I keep typing Benji Somebody Else (frequency and location people, frequency and location).
Benji Somebody Else.

On a completely unrelated but nonetheless interesting note, I had ants crawling on my ears today. I have no idea how this happened. Around 9:00 this moring I'm sitting there doing dentistry and feel one crawling on my ear. I took off my glove and brushed it away, only to have the same thing happen 10 minutes later. Then around 3:00 this afternoon it happened again! I was in the middle of polishing up a filling I had just placed and really didn't want to take time out of the procedure to take off my gloves, brush the ant away, and re-glove; and I definitely didn't want to touch my own ear with slobbery gloves, (gross!) so I just kept working while the little bugger crawled around for two minutes and bit me three times. I don't think I've ever been so angry at a single ant in my entire life. Maybe someday when I'm working in my own office and have an assistant, I can simply call out "Ant" and she can brush it off of my ear. Someday.

Benji Somebody Else.

4 comments:

Benji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benji said...

Update - It's only been three minutes and already this post is the number two link for a google search of "Benji Hadfield". I guess I'm really somebody now.

Fat Joe said...

I'm guessing a queen ant took up residence in your brain.

Steph said...

Oh Benji. Having bugs in my ears is my absolute WORST fear. I know the ants weren't actually in your ears, but that's way too close for my comfort. I would have been screaming and jumping around the room and no amount of nasty slobber would have made me pause to take off those gloves. You're like a man of steel or something...