Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Friday, July 25, 2008

Movie reviews, just in time for the weekend!

Here's what I've seen lately, and what I thought:

Fools Gold


I reluctantly rented this one because there's not a huge selection in the redbox these days, but it was better than I thought it would be. I worried that with Kate Hudson and Matthew McHandsome back together it would just be an extension of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Truth be told, there was a lot more adventure involved. It was more than a cheesy chick flick. I can't really give an accurate re-cap because it was late and I fell asleep somewhere in the middle and missed 10 or 20 minutes, but what I did see I liked.

Recommendation:
Not bad, I would recommend it if there's nothing else you'd rather see.


The Great Debaters


The story of a debate team from an all-black college in Texas in the 1920's. I'm torn on this movie. It had an interesting storyline, great acting, and of course those moving dramatic moments that come with movies like this, so I normally would give this one a good recommendation. However, I have two issues with this movie. First, a problem with the plot - as a debate team, they were never asked to debate anything that goes against what they believed. It was always them arguing something they were very passionate about (desegregation, civil disobedience), and that's not what true debating is, although it made for a better story.
Second, and this is the kicker, this movie is available exclusively at blockbuster. Not cool.

Recommendation: If everyone rented this movie, what would we be telling the film industry? That it's ok to make movies available exclusively at certain stores. Picture for a second a world where you have to go to Blockbuster to get a certain movie, and Hollywood Video to get another. For this reason I recommend not renting this movie. But, if you know someone who has it, it's worth watching.


Last of the Mohicans (edited)


Yeah, I know, this is an old one but I'd never seen it. Normally I don't like historical epic movies like this because the people talk differently and sometimes it's hard to follow all the details of the story. I liked this movie though. The thing that tips the scales for a positive recommendation is the music.

Recommendation: I do recommend this movie. Edited. I highly recommend this soundtrack.


The 5th Element


This was available free at hulu.com so I thought I'd check it out. Guess what? It's not worth free. If I got paid for my time watching the movie, it'd maybe be ok. Some Sci-Fi movies are ok but this one was just too weird for me. The opera scene actually made me laugh out loud at how stupid it was.

Recommendation: Are you kidding me? It's a no.


You, Me, and Dupree


You know how some movies have one or two really crass parts, but the rest of the movie is so hilarious that you don't really mind? This wasn't that movie. I really like Owen Wilson, but this was probably the least funny Owen Wilson movie I've ever seen, and that's counting Behind Enemy Lines. (On a related note, for you single guys out there - a wise friend once told me that if you're ever in a situation where you don't know what to say or how to act around a pretty girl, just think to yourself, "What would Owen Wilson do?" and go with it. The characters he plays are always so smooth.)

Recommendation:
Definitely no.


The Sentinel


Jack Bauer teams up with a Desperate Housewife to figure out who's trying to kill the President - what's not to like? This movie reminded me of Breach. If you like one, you'll like the other.

Recommendation: I liked it. I would especially recommend it to those of you who are going through withdrawals of the show 24.


and finally,
The Dark Knight



It sort of seems like this movie deserves it's own post, but I have a tribute to Batman in the works for this blog so I'll just go ahead and do my little review here.
I loved it. I've seen it twice now and would have to say I loved it more the second time. The first time through it was difficult to see where the story was going and therefore a little tougher pick up on all the little interweaving themes of the movie. Heath Ledger deserves all the praise he gets - he was amazing at convincing you he was both a genius and a psychopath at the same time. The only negative thing I've heard about this movie is that Batman's voice is annoying, but, (and I've said this over and over again) - Batman is a ninja who was trained by ninjas, and the art of ninjutsu is that of invisibility. If you were a famous billionaire, people would know your voice, so you have to do something to disguise it. I think the director had him do this in the most "Batman-way" possible.
Lastly, this is a disturbing movie. There are a lot of gruesome parts, but they are tastefully left to your imagination. If you don't like scary movies, this isn't for you.

Recommendation: I feel obligated to warn that it will scare you, and there are a number of scenes that could be better described as "twisted" than "enjoyable". That being said, this is one of the best made movies I've ever seen. I'll let you decide on the recommendation.

No comments: