Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Garfield minus Garfield



If you haven't heard of this yet, I highly recommend checking out this site. It's a simple premise - any talking animals are removed from the comic strip, resulting in Jon Arbuckle appearing extremely lonely and crazy.

The website's self description:

Garfield Minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb.

It took a minute for me to start thinking it was funny. In fact, some of them are just outright sad, but the more I read it the more I laughed and by about 10 minutes in I was laughing so hard I was crying! Then it kind of wore off a little. I think it adds to the effect to read it all at once.

Recently, Jim Davis, creator of Garfield, gave his permission for the creator of the site to publish a Garfield minus Garfield book.

No comments: