Things I have recently grammed; instantly:

Friday, June 6, 2008

Movie Reviews: Blood Diamond (edited), Over Her Dead Body, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (edited)

I've got a few movies to catch up on reviewing. We have some neighbors who have a few DVD's they got from Flicks, a rental place that would clean up rated R movies. I believe the movie industry shut them down a couple years back.

Blood Diamond (edited)

I was curious about this movie because I one of the kids in my boy scout patrol (I'm a leader) is from Sierre Leone, which is the setting for this movie. I used to give him rides to scouts every week and would use this time to try to get to know him better and understand where he is coming from. He once told me that sometimes it was scary on Saturdays because they would line people up on the streets and if the area around their houses wasn't clean they would shoot them. When I asked if he felt a lot safer living in Loma Linda he said it wasn't that different because his grandma tells him that there are bad people down the street and if he gets too far from the house they'll take him away. He's only 12 now, but when he grows up I'm sure he'll have a greater appreciation for the safety and security here compared to his home land.
Alas, I digress. The movie was really captivating, told an important story, and told it well. I would imagine if I had seen it un-edited it would have made me sick to my stomach because there were many scenes involving armies of children engaging in urban warfare. I'm glad I watched it and would especially recommend it to any young couples who are deeply in love and think they are ready to spend a lot of money on a diamond.

Recommendation: If there's any way you can see it edited, go for it. Otherwise, you'd better have a strong stomach.

Over her dead body

Yup. I watched it. All of it. Based on the previews this looked like one of the stupidest movies ever. I think the only reason I enjoyed it was because my expectations were so low. It started out really rough and I seriously considered finding something else to do. I was so tired I just laid on the couch and figured if I fell asleep I wouldn't miss much. Eventually the plot picked up and it was kind of fun.

Recommendation: Probably a no, but don't get mad at me if you do decide to watch it and you don't like it.


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (edited)


I had never heard of this movie. It says it's rated R for language, some drug and sexual content. Obviously seeing the edited version I didn't see any of that and, although the movie was a little wierd, I really enjoyed it. Basically this movie is a cheesy love story told in a really creative way.

Recommendation: I'm glad I saw it but again, I can only speak for the clean version.

No comments: